The Department of Electronic Engineering welcomes you as a student to the Faculty of Engineering and Technology at the Vaal University of Technology.
The Vision of the Department is to be A Leading Department in Electrical Engineering.
The core values of this Department are:
• High academic standards
PURPOSE OF THE QUALIFICATION
The purpose of this qualification is to build the necessary knowledge, understanding, abilities and skills required for further learning towards becoming a competent practicing electrical engineering technician.
Specifically, the qualification provides:
• A thorough grounding in mathematics, basic sciences, engineering sciences, engineering modelling, engineering design and the abilities to enable applications in fields of emerging knowledge together with an appreciation for the world and society in which engineering is practiced.
• Preparation for a career in electrical engineering itself and areas that potentially benefit from electrical engineering skills, for achieving technical proficiency and to make a contribution to the economy and national development.
• The educational base required for registration as a Professional Engineering Technician with ECSA.
• For graduates with an appropriate level of achievement, the ability to enter a BTech degree programme.
The electrical engineering technician completing this qualification will be competent and able to display the following learning outcomes:
• Solving well defined electrical engineering problems.
• Applying scientific and electrical engineering knowledge.
• Performing electrical engineering designs.
• Conduct investigations, experiments and collate data analysis.
• Using appropriate engineering methods, skills and tools.
• Communicating technical information in a professional manner.
• Demonstrating critical awareness of the impact of the engineering activity.
• Effectively working as an individual and in teams.
• Engaging in independent learning.
• Acting professionally and ethically at all times.
• Engaging in engineering practice via work integrated learning.