INTRODUCING PROF SAMMY LEWIS KIAMBI: LEAD RESEARCHER IN GREEN ENGINEERING AND PROCESS SUSTAINABILITY
Precious Maphisa 12 August 2022
Professor Sammy Lewis Kiambi is the new Head of the Department of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering. He joined the Vaal University of Technology (VUT) in April 2022.
Prof Kiambi is associate professor in Chemical Engineering. His qualifications include:
- BScEng Chemical – Moi University in Kenya.
- MScEng Chemical – École Nationale Supérieure des Ingénieurs en Arts Chimiques et Technologiques (ENSIACET) France.
- PhD Chemical Engineering – Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse (INPT) France.
He boasts 23 years of local and international experience in academics and research with expertise in renewable energy and wastewater treatment.
Prof Kiambi is an editor and reviewer of several international journals. He has been involved in curriculum development at all institutions of higher learning he has served in.
A lead researcher in Green Engineering and Process Sustainability, he has written many peer-reviewed journal papers, attended conferences, and produced numerous post-graduate students in his field of work.
Prof Kiambi has held various academic positions at several academic institutions. These include:
- Moi university Kenya where he was a head of department for six years.
- Paul Sabatier University (France)
- ENSIACET (France).
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN); and
- Durban University of Technology.
His plans for VUT include taking his department to a higher level in research and producing the best quality industry-fit graduates.