Prof. R.M. IWANKIEWICZ (MSc, PhD, Dr. Hab.)
Institute of Mechanics and Ocean Engineering
Hamburg University of Technology
Eissendorfer Strasse 42
Phone: +49 (0) 40 42 878-2333
Fax: +49 (0) 40 42 878-2028
Professor Radoslaw Iwankiewicz graduated, with distinctions, from Wroclaw University of Technology in Poland, obtaining MSc in Civil Engineering. He obtained PhD in the area of Structural Dynamics and Dr habil. (senior doctorate) degree in the area of Stochastic Dynamics from the same university. He was a research fellow in France and Germany and a visiting professor in Denmark and Germany. Professor Iwankiewicz held professorial appointments in Poland and South Africa, where in the years 1998-2007 he was a Chair of Applied Mechanics at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. Since 2007 he has been a professor at Hamburg University of Technology in Germany. His primary research expertise is in the area of Random Vibrations/Stochastic Dynamics and his major research accomplishments concern methods for dynamical systems under random impulse processes. His secondary research areas are Structural Reliability and Applications of Stochastic Processes in Mechanics. Professor Iwankiewicz has published about 120 papers, including three books. He is a member of the Editorial Boards for the International Journals: Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics and Mechanics and Materials in Design and a member of IASSAR (The International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability) Scientific Committee on Stochastic Dynamics (SC2).
Lecture Title: Dynamic systems under Poisson and non-Poisson impulse process excitations: Markov methods
Lecture Abstract: Methods for determination of the response of mechanical dynamic systems to random impulse process excitations, such as trains of shocks and impacts, are presented. The considered classes of random impulse processes are: Poisson process and two renewal processes: an Erlang process and a generalized Erlang process. Stochastic diﬀerential and integro-diﬀerential equations of motion are introduced. For systems driven by Poisson impulse process the theory of non-diﬀusive Markov processes is applied. In particular, the generalized Ito’s diﬀerential rule and its use to obtain the equations for response moments is discussed. The integro-diﬀerential Kolmogorov-Feller equation governing the probability density of the response to Poisson impulse process is shown to be derived from the forward integro-diﬀerential Chapman-Kolmogorov equation. For systems driven by non-Poisson impulse processes the methods of exact conversion of the original non-Markov problem into a Markov one are covered. The ﬁrst method is based on the augmentation of the state vector by auxiliary pure jump stochastic processes. The second method is based on the appended Markov chain corresponding to the auxiliary pure jump stochastic process. The derivation of the set of integro-diﬀerential equations for response probability density and also an alternative moment equations technique are based on the forward integro-diﬀerential Chapman-Kolmogorov equation and on the appended Markov chain. For non-linear dynamic systems driven by renewal impulse processes a novel closure approximation technique, associated with the moment equations technique, is also developed
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS IN THE YEARS 2012-2017
Papers in journals:
- Yurchenko, R. Iwankiewicz and P.Alevras, The path integration method for a controlled SDOF system subjected to combined periodic and white noise external excitations, Meccanica dei Materiali e delle Strutture, Vol. 3 (2012), No. 3, pp.29-36.
- Iwankiewicz, Moment equations technique for dynamic systems under
- renewal impulse processes: approach based on integro-differential Chapman-Kolmogorov equations, Meccanica dei Materiali e delle Strutture, Vol. 3 (2012), No. 2, pp. 17-24.
- Iwankiewicz, Response of Dynamic Systems to Renewal Impulse Processes: Generating Equation for Moments based on the Integro-Differential Chapman-Kolmogorov Equations, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 35, January 2014, 52-66.
- Yurchenko, R. Iwankiewicz and P.Alevras, Control and dynamics of a SDOF system with piecewise linear stiffness and combined external excitations, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 35, January 2014, 118-124.
- Iwankiewicz, Non-Poisson impulse processes, Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering, Eds. M. Beer, E. Patelli, I. Kougioumtzoglou and I.Siu-Kui Au (Eds.). DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-36197-5_332-1. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
- Iwankiewicz, Probability distribution and moments of the first-excursion time for dynamic systems under non-Poisson impulse processes: Markov approach based on integro-differential Chapman-Kolmogorov equations. International Journal of Dynamics and Control, 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s40435-015-0166-1.
- Iwankiewicz, Dynamic response of mechanical systems to impulse process stochastic excitations: Markov approach, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 721, 2016, DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/721/012010. Online ISSN: 1742-6596,
- Print ISSN: 1742-6588.
- Iwankiewicz, On duality of definition of sample paths discontinuity in impulse problems: left-continuous with right limits (c.`a g. l. `a d.) vs. right-continuous with left limits (c. `a d. l. `a g.), Meccanica dei Materiali e delle Strutture, Vol. VI (2016), No. 1, pp. 9-16.
Papers in proceedings of the international conferences:
- Iwankiewicz, Moments of the first-excursion time for dynamic systems under a non-Poisson impulse process: approach based on integro-differential Chapman-Kolmogorov equations, Proc. of VEESD2013 (Vienna Congress on Recent Advances in Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics), Vienna, Austria, 28-30 August 2013, Eds. C. Adam, R. Heuer, W. Lenhardt and C. Schranz, ISBN 978-3-902749-04-8, Paper No. 440.
- Iwankiewicz and M. Vasta, Moments of the first-excursion time for dynamic systems under renewal impulse processes: Markov approach based on integro-differential Chapman-Kolmogorov equations, 7th Computational Stochastic Mechanics, 15-18 June 2014, Santorini, Greece, Eds. G. Deodatis and P.Spanos, Research Publishing, 326-334.
- Kaczmarczyk and R.Iwankiewicz, On the Nonlinear Deterministic and Stochastic Dynamics of a Cable – Mass System with Time-Varying Length, Proc. of ICOSSAR 2017 Vienna, Austria, 6-10 August 2017, Eds. C. Bucher, B. R. Ellingwood and D. Frangopol, TU-Verlag Vienna, ISBN, 978-3-903024-28-1, 1205-1213.
Presented keynote lectures:
- Iwankiewicz, Dynamic systems under random impulse process excitations: non-diffusive Markov and non-Markov problems, 9th China National Conference on Theory and Applications of Random Vibration, Lanzhou City, China, 8 -10 October 2014.
- Iwankiewicz, Dynamic response of mechanical systems to impulse process stochastic excitations: Markov approach. Symposium on Mechanics of Slender Structures, MoSS 2015, Northampton, UK, 21-22 September, 2015.
Papers to be presented at international conferences:
- Kaczmarczyk and R.Iwankiewicz, Nonlinear Vibrations of a Cable System with a Tuned Mass Damper under Deterministic and Stochastic Base Excitation, to be presented at EURODYN 2017, Rome, 10 -13 September 2017.
- Iwankiewicz and A. Jablonka, Novel moment equations and closure approximation technique for dynamic systems under Erlang renewal impulse processes, to be presented at 15th Int. Probabilistic Workshop, Dresden, Germany, 27-29 September 2017.