Amongst other services, the below is a summary of the services offered:
HOW WE ASSIST STUDENTS
The Department assist students in searching opportunities for WIL/WBL and graduate placement. Students should submit their CV’s at the Co-operative Education Department (N108). It is important to note that CV’s must be updated every 06 months.
As soon as the Department is contacted by a company, the relevant CV’s will be sent to the company as per the company’s request. The company can then contact the student directly or the student will be contacted by the Co-operative Education Department on the outcome.
HOW WE ASSIST COMPANIES
- Selection & placement of students
- Companies can contact the Department if they are looking for students for placement opportunities
- The Department will provide relevant CV’s.
- The Department can contact the students on behalf of the company
- The Department can facilitate the interview process
- Company presentations
- Companies can contact the Department to coordinate company presentations to students
- Career Fair
- The Department hosts an annual career fair (free of charge) during which companies are invited to set up exhibition stalls
SUMMARY OF SERVICES
- Company presentations to students
- Company requests for students
- CV submission
- Scheduling of interviews
- Placement of WIL/WBL students & graduates
- WIL/WBL reports submission
- Employability workshops (Job Search Skills, CV Writing Skills, Interview Skills)
- Work Readiness Programme
- Annual Career Fair
- Annual Employer Awards Function
PLACEMENT OF STUDENTS ON CAMPUS
In 2008 Management approved the placement of students on campus for the purpose of completing their Work Integrated Learning (WIL). The project was assigned to and is managed by the Co-operative Education Department. A specific budget is provided by Management in this regard.
The placement process is strictly to accommodate students that are still in need of WIL, in other words, they need WIL in order to attain their qualification. Therefore, ONLY the following students that have courses with compulsory WIL are eligible to apply:
|ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY (NATIONAL DIPLOMA)
|APPLIED & COMPUTER SCIENCES (NATIONAL DIPLOMA)
|HUMAN SCIENES (NATIONAL DIPLOMA)
|Fashion Retail Management
|Public Relations Management
|MANAGEMENT SCIENCES (NATIONAL DIPLOMA)
The necessary forms can be collected from the Co-operative Education Department (N108). The authorisation form should be completed electronically and signed by the Line Manager and NOT by the student.
- Authorisation form for the appointment of WIL students to be completed online by the Line Manager
- VUT biographical questionnaire to be completed by the student
- CV of student
- Certified copy of ID (student)
- Certified copy of Senior certificate
- Certified copy of marriage certificate/complete divorce decree/affidavit for customary marriage
- Proof of residence
It is important to note that students will NOT receive a monthly salary. Students will only receive a stipend at the end of the training. The Line Manager must inform the student about this at the time of offering the student the opportunity for training.
This process does not apply in cases where the specific department wants to pay the student a monthly salary/stipend/honorarium. This is a process between the relevant department and HR. The Co-operative Education Department is not involved in this process at all.
Students are NOT allowed to claim stipends from the department where the student has been placed and from Co-operative Education simultaneously. Only a once off payment and one contract for each student is allowed. Students can be expected to repay the money if the student has claimed from both departments while doing training.
Please note the following:
- The authorisation forms and other documents of students must be sent to Co-operative Education BEFORE the student starts with the training.
- Students can only start with training AFTER the contract has been signed with HR. Students who have started before the contract has been signed will forfeit payment and the contract will not be approved or processed.
- The authorisation form and confirmation letter from the relevant department where the student is placed should only be signed by the relevant authorised lecturer or HoD.
- Students have to stay for their entire training period where the student is placed. NO student will receive the stipend if they did not complete their training.
- The relevant department where the student is placed must write a letter of completion before the student can claim the stipend.
- The student will only receive the stipend during the last month or at the end of the training period.
- Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in NON PAYMENT of the stipend to the student.
- No student will be allowed to claim at the end of the training period if the required guidelines have not been adhered to.